Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Glasses?
I took Carter to the eye doctor at Primary Children's today. We had been there 6 weeks ago for his follow up appointment after his eye surgery. At that appointment Carter's eyes were still crossing when he was looking up close at things but were straight when looking far away. The doctor was hoping that after some more time they would straighten out and start working together. So that is why we went in today. Carter was acting extremely shy and wouldn't even look at the nurse or doctor. He covered his eyes as soon as the doctor entered the room. I finally had to force his hands down so the doctor could get a look. He didn't get to look long (because of the shyness) but long enough to tell me that his eyes haven't gotten any better. I wasn't that surprised but it's disappointing knowing that after all the trouble of the surgery and such his eyes still aren't working right. So the doctor gave us a prescription for glasses. Bifocals to be more exact. If Carter was farsighted at all it would help them correct the crossing (don't ask me why but that's what the doctor says) but he's not so instead they'll try giving him bifocals. I didn't get a lot of hope out of the doctor's comments that this will work but it's really the only other option besides surgery. It's the only thing we can try. I asked the doctor how the bifocals help the eyes to uncross but he didn't have much of an explanation besides "They just do." So we stopped at an optical place on the way home and they didn't even carry glasses small enough for a 2 year old. The eye doctor said to get cheap ones because they're going to break and we'll be back there before long to get new ones. So I guess we'll try some place else. I really don't know what I'm doing ordering glasses for a 2 year old. Which ones are best? Which ones don't make him look like a nerd? I have no idea how we'll keep glasses on Carter. He would barely keep them on in the store. He has sunglasses and won't wear them. This is going to be a challenge. I asked the doctor about that and he said to just keep trying to keep them on him and if it's impossible then he has some eye drops to blur his vision unless he has the glasses on. Aaaah! We'll see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
How frustrating. I'm sure that the glasses thing will be challenging. Knowing Cater. :-). Or any two year old. Hope it starts getting better. Hes so cute anyways.
Good luck with the glasses. I hope they work especially since it is going to stress you out trying to keep them on him. It looks like your family of 5 will soon be a family of 6! Congratulations!
Darn it....poor Carter. I'm glad it is not anything worse, but still, so so frustrating. I saw some sunglasses at Smiths with a band around the back to help keep them on. Not that a 2 year old wouldn't be able to take them off, but it might help a little. Thinking of you. Are you feeling any better?
We did the drops with Maren. I would go get a cheap frame and try it first I spent a lot of money on Glasses Maren would never leave on. Try taking the dark lens out of the sun glasses and see if he will wear them. Who is your DR?
If you have America's Best there you get two pairs of the bendy flexible frames for about $75 I think. Those frames are so much better than the traditional kind!!! He won't look like a nerd. I think all little kids look so cute with glasses.
Solveig
Post a Comment