Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The big 4-0 and Halloween

 Tom spent the last day of his 30s playing a soccer game.  This wasn't a planned thing.  Zac's last soccer game of the season was the last Saturday of October.  Tom was home for the morning so he was able to go.  We showed up a half hour early like usual for the players to warm up.  As the half hour passed the parents and coaches started realizing there wasn't another team showing up.  The other team never showed.  So the coaches decided to make it a kids vs. parents game.  Dads and a few moms played.  Tom told me not to take pictures.  I only had my phone so I told him not to worry.  But another parent took pictures and sent them to everyone :)  









Everyone had a great time and the parents won.  After the game I took a picture of just Tom and Zac.  Tom said they had to stand in this pose.  Something about it being how the professional soccer players stand or something.  He can correct me if I'm wrong.  


They had a good time and Tom was sore the next few days.  I guess that's what happens to an almost 40 year old. 

The day of Tom's birthday was Sunday.  Tom doesn't like to celebrate.  So I asked what he wanted to do for the day.  He said nothing.  The day before his birthday was our neighbors 40th birthday.  Her family has a tradition of embarrassing each other on their 40th birthdays.  So for her birthday they put signs all over her yard.  As we drove by Tom told me, "It's a good thing you aren't going to do anything like that."  At church I saw this neighbor and asked about her birthday and mentioned it was Tom's 40th birthday and that he was glad I wasn't doing anything similar to her family.  When we got home from church all the signs were moved to our yard.  I may have mentioned that would be a great idea.  



I did get a birthday menu out of Tom.  He wanted steak, crashed potatoes (so delicious), any vegetable (expect brussel sprouts) and chocolate cake for dessert.  I added in some frog eye salad since it's his favorite.  Leave it to Tom to have some cheesy smile or something for the picture.  




Abbi in her thoughtful way made Tom a cute birthday card with coupons for walking on his back and doing his hair (his favorite).  Gavin also generously gave him the $5 Abbi had given him for his birthday.  Tom came up with the cheesy poses.  


Blake had never seen helium balloons before and thought they were pretty neat. 


The Monday before Halloween our neighbors always put on a haunted yard.  Abbi has become good friends with their daughter at school so they had to go this year.  It was a bit chilly since it didn't start until 7 (it has to be dark for a haunted yard right?).  Tom took them and I stayed home with Blake.  It was a long line and a bit scary but they always have homemade donuts and cider so you can't beat that.  


Blake and I often talk in the mirror during the day.  He is the sweetest and this is the closest I get to cuddling with him.  He is not a cuddler.  


We met Tom at a pumpkin patch near the fire station to pick out pumpkins.  Carter can't quite get the natural smile down....




The day before Halloween Gavin had his preschool Halloween party.  He was excited to go and to dress up.  They had a cute program for the last 15 minutes singing Halloween songs.  


On Halloween Zac was out of school for the day so he, Gavin and I went to the elementary school parade.  



In the afternoon we finally got around to carving the pumpkins.  Well, Tom, Abbi & Zac did.  Our kids are lucky to have a dad that takes so much time helping them with their pumpkins.  He really does a great job.  Gavin got a ninja turtle, Carter got a incredible sign, Zac did another ninja turtle to please Gavin and Abbi did a Gru sign (from Despicable me).  


Blake watched.  


For dinner I always try to do something special on Halloween.  This year I decided to try dinner in a pumpkin.  It was a bust.  The recipe for the casserole type meal inside wasn't very good.  I should try to come up with something different because it is a good idea but just not a good recipe. 


Before they walked out the door to go trick or treating we had to get our annual picture.  Zac wore his BYU football jersey (can't miss out on the candy). Abbi didn't even want to dress up (this is probably the 5th time she dressed up with carnivals, dance, school, etc) but I told her she had to dress up to get candy.  So she didn't put all the effort into her hair and such but she dressed up.  Gavin had a glow in the dark Leonardo mask just for the night.  They went with the neighbors and the weather was fabulous.  Some of the best Halloween weather we've had.  They went trick or treating for hours and got loads of candy.  I think almost 5 pounds each.  



My little skeleton and I sat home and passed out candy to the trick or treaters.  Blake makes this cute sound all the time that sounds like "aaah" in a deep voice so I called him the scary skeleton.  We had a little candy ourselves.  Blake likes chocolate :)


No comments: