Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Baby birds

Recently we noticed a mother robin bird building a nest on the side of our house. I was thrilled- not exactly sure why, but I guess it's the kid in me loving it. But I was also happy it was on the side of our house up high and not in a tree. 2 years ago at this same time a mother bird started building a nest in a tree in our garden area. It's a weeping willow type tree that has branches that hit the ground all around it. I assume the mother thought it would be a safe place for her nest. We would watch daily for the mother bird and see her sitting in the nest. A few times when she was away we would hold the kids up high to see the eggs and I even got the ladder out so I could see them too. They were such a brilliant baby blue color and I was amazed at how beautiful they were. I had heard that robin eggs were blue but I just never really knew how blue they really were until I saw them with my own eyes. One day we noticed that you could see little beaks poking out of the top of the nest. If you waved your hand over the top of the nest they would poke their heads out hoping their mother was near. After awhile we noticed that you could hear them sort of chirping and I even got the ladder again to really see them. We would often see the mother and father (that was what we assumed at least) on top of our house and on our fence sort of keeping watch. It was so fun to have baby birds in our tree outside. Well, then here comes the sad story. Sometimes we have cats come in our yard. One day our dog, Maia was barking a lot and I went outside to see what all the barking was about. I noticed the mother and father birds darting back and forth in our yard and then I saw the cat run out of our yard. I didn't think anything of it until a few days later when I got the ladder to see why I hadn't heard the baby birds for awhile. I was devastated to see the nest empty and to remember what had happened the previous day with the cat. I was so mad and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. It broke my heart. So thank goodness this mother bird was smarter and is high up. No cat can get up there. But neither can my ladder.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I remember your bird story. I hope this one has a happy ending so the kids can have a better memory. Keep us posted!

Sara and Company said...

How fun....I bet you all are going to have fun keeping up on this one. Bad cat...bad bad!