Wednesday, July 30, 2008

First Grade

Zac's first day of first grade was on Tuesday. He was very excited and I was sort of nervous to have him go the whole day. It started off with pancakes and Zac requested a pancake with a 1 on it for his first first grade day. (That is a one on that pancake)
Next we were late to school. That's a good thing to do on the first day of school. We were just a couple minutes late and the teachers are very prompt on the first day. He didn't miss much though so it turned out okay. As the day went on I realized that I was missing him and I was sort of sad he was gone the whole day. So even though he is my child that tests my limits it was sort of sad to have him gone. I think I'll get over that though. I can do so much more with only 2 kids during the day. I forgot to put his sandwich in his lunch so I had to go to his school to take it to him and I think he was sort of embarrassed by me coming there. That's a first (and I'm sure not a last). After it was all said and done he loved it and the main thing he said about the day was, "We got 3 times to go out and play!" Today was his second day and his teacher wrote in his planner that he brings home everyday that his card was turned to yellow today (that means he got in trouble). He was messing around in line with another boy (really?!) So we talked about it and he promised he would try to be better. Then he had a paper in his backpack where he had to draw how he felt about first grade. He was supposed to draw a picture of himself. He drew it with tears on his cheeks. I asked him about it and he said it was because of his yellow card. That made me sad but then I realized it's probably good he at least feels bad about it. But I think 3 times of playing a day will make him happy to go back.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so glad you're recording these memories for both you and Zac. It sounds like his teacher is starting out strict but she will learn to love Zac and know how sweet he is when she gets to really know him! I'd LOVE to have Zac in my class--he would add a lot of good comments and fun times!

The Ferry Bunch said...

Maddy starts Monday and I am already getting sad...where did the time go!! You are such a cute mom. I am glad to hear things like you are late...last year we totally missed the first day of school because of a miscommunication ina letter sent...I thought, boy and I am a teacher???? He is so cute!!

g said...

Very cute, I'm not sad yet that Brenna is going to school.( most likely I'll sit in the hall all day. that's sad, but true. She's my baby!

Joe and Amy said...

Can you believe we have kids starting first grade. That seems so weird!

Brynn starts on Thursday. She's excited, but I wonder how the all day thing will be.

Zac makes me laugh, can you pinpoint the child from on of your classes that he would have been? Sometimes my head goes there. Wiht Brynn it's always the over sensitive perfectionist that I think of, after a year of school, she became much better though!

Brooke said...

Angie- he sounds just like my Matthew! His teacher had a similar thing in his 1st grade, it was called a card change. Many a day he came home with a "yellow" card and a paper for me to sign. You'll make it!

Brooke said...

by the way, will you send me your email so i can invite you to our blog? and chad's, too! thanks!
brookestowers@msn.com

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having a first-grader; he is so handsome! I hope it will be a fun year for him.