Monday, July 28, 2008

The patch is back!

Carter went back to the eye doctor this past week. I was really quite nervous about the visit since his eyes seem to be crossing again. I was just really worried about what the doctor would say. Our pediatrician had even commented on how they were crossing and he was worried so that made me even more worried. But the eye exam went better than I expected. I was worried that they would have to do surgery again soon and ... well there were tons of worries going on in my head. The doctor told us that his eyes are crossing when he looks at things up close but they don't cross when he's looking far away. That is expected because most kids need the surgery 2 or 3 times for it to really work. So he will need the surgery again but now not and we don't know when. The doctor did say his one eye seemed a little stronger than his other eye so we have to patch. But we only have to do it for 1 hour a day. Last time it was 4 hours so 1 hour doesn't seem like much. So for the next 3 months we'll be patching. But this has proved to be a challenge. First of all I need to make myself do it. Yes, I know it's the best thing for him but it makes me feel awful. And second of all, Carter isn't quite the gem he used to be about wearing it. Before when he wore it, it barely bothered him. Now he hates it and tries and tries to get it off and usually succeeds before the hour is over. The first day he wore it for the whole hour without problem. Since then he hasn't worn it for an hour. It's more like 1/2 hour or 45 minutes before he rips it off. So I don't know what I'm going to do about that one. Plus those patches are pricey so using 2 or 3 a day doesn't seem plausible. Hopefully he'll just get used to it more. Hopefully.

1 comment:

Heather Ashby said...

I'm sorry he has to have the patch back. I can't imagine trying to keep that on a toddler. Good Luck!