Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gavin is Here

To all who didn't know that Angie was pregnant, she isn't anymore. We headed down to the hospital this morning for her to be induced. Her platelets came in at a whopping 146 and it was a big relief for Angie to be able to have the epidural. They started the pitocin at 8:16 and it was contractions galore. The epidural, however, only worked on the right side at first. Then after some work repositioning the catheter and giving a stronger medicine, her left leg went numb. She still had some lower abdominal pain, though.

At one point (of course, right after the anesthesiologist left) she had a really strong contraction that really didn't ease off. In fact, it last five minutes and the baby's heart rate dropped dramatically. That got the nursing staff's attention and they came running in. Angie and I were a little scared about what was happening as they called the OB/GYN to come in "stat." After the contraction, though, his heart rate went up and the doctor said, "let's get that thing out of there!" Angie got him out in about 4 pushes.

The staff kept commenting at how big he was and each placed their guesses on the weight. Most agreed he was just over 9 lbs. Zac was 7 lb 2 oz, Abbi was 7 lb 6 oz, and Carter was 8 lb 12 oz. Gavin came in at a whopping 10 lb 8.3 oz. He has rolls of baby skin that are just so amazing that he looks like our little sharpei. His skin of course is pretty red but we don't think that he'll be as fair as Carter. His hair is a little darker as well, but his eyebrows are really blonde. We are glad he's here and when Angie gets out of the hospital I am sure that she'll edit my post.

15 comments:

Lauren said...

Congrats! he is a handsome little boy!

Amy said...

Congrats! That guy looks super duper healthy! Nothing cuter than chub! ;)

Unknown said...

Oh my GOSH! He is so cute and he is soooo huge! Way to go Angie! I love chubby babies. I'm very happy for you guys!

Unknown said...

.

Unknown said...

this is Amy Lee by the way.

Brooke said...

Wow! That's a big baby! Hope Angie is doing ok. He is darling. Nothing like a chubby little baby. And I bet Angie IS glad to have him out! Congrats!

The Grant Family said...

What a big chunk of LOVE! Congrats! What a doll!

bknmkalhyland said...

Yay! You're not pregnant anymore! What a gorgeous guy! I'll be praying that you both get good rest the next few weeks!

Why Not? Because I Said So! said...

What a cutie! So glad that he is finally here safe and sound. I hope that you are doing well also Angie.

Sara and Company said...

Oh you guys.....he's darling!!!! Yay! Congratulations!

Tamsen said...

He is such a cutie! Still in shock over his size. You need to change the title of your blog to SIX now! Much love, T and fam.

Natalie said...

Congratulations Ang! I guess my mom and your mom were in the temple together last week and so my mom called on monday to update me on how uncomfortable life has been the last little while! I'm so glad that has passed and your darling buddle of cuteness is here. I'm sure you are the happiest of all!!! Grateful to hear that everything went well. Enjoy your stay at "Hotel Hospital" while you can! Thinking of you...Nat

Hilarie said...

Angie! Congratulations!!!!! What a beautiful baby! (I loved your husband's sharpei comment -- don't you just love baby rolls!?!) Congrats!
Hilarie (Shoemaker) Jacobberger
smallandsimplethingamajigs.blogspot

Karly said...

Congratulations! He is so handsome and I love his name. Hope you can get some rest and be well cared for in the coming days.

Mark and Kory Hawk said...

Congratulations Haynie family! He is adorable. We love the name.