Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Gavin is home and is the star of the show

Gavin is finally home and his brothers and sister have finally got to meet him. I was discharged from the hospital on Friday but Gavin had a few complications. First they thought he had a blood infection from group b strep. So they had to put him in the NICU and give him an IV to administer antibiotics to him. So I sat in my hospital room without a baby. It was nice to sleep but I wanted my baby. Then he started breathing too fast so they wouldn't let him eat. Because he was so big they had to give him IV fluids to keep his blood sugar up. Then his bilirubin was high so he had to go under lights. Aren't his little glasses so funny? So not only couldn't I feed him but I couldn't even hold him. So after 2 extra days in the hospital he was finally discharged on Sunday and we got to bring our baby home. Because of the swine flu they wouldn't let any kids in the hospital so Zac and Abbi were dying to see him. Carter of course had no idea what was going on. Sunday night, after being at Grandma's for the weekend the kids came home to a baby. Zac and Abbi were thrilled. Carter just stared from a distance wondering what that thing was. He warmed up quickly though. The next day Abbi sat by Gavin's bed all morning (for hours) waiting for him to wake up. I'm sure she'll be an excellent mother #2. And now Gavin is the star of the show. They want to hold him, touch him, kiss him. Even Carter says, "Hold you baby" and "Carter's turn". I even heard him walk by Gavin and say "Hi sweetie." They can't get enough of him.

10 comments:

Tamsen said...

Oh, he is SO cute and those chubby baby cheeks look just excellent for kissing! Wish we could see him in person. That first pic is so great of all of your kids. Today at random (during lunch) Hewitt said, "I miss Abbi." We all miss you.

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness Ang, he is SOOOO cute! I just want to pick him up and love on him! I hope you are recovering as much as a mom of 4 can. You are going to LOVE your little helpers. It was so great coming home to older kids with the last 2. VERY VERY helpful they will be! Congratulations Gavin is an absolute doll...in a boy kind of way!

Sara and Company said...

Seriously LOVE him already! Sorry about all the craziness, but glad he is finally home. I bet your kids will be great little helpers. Too cute!

wuxiheather said...

I cannot believe you delivered a ten and a half pound baby! That is amazing! I am so nervous for all that goes along with giving birth but we're excited to have our new little addition to the family. We're excited for you too. I don't think we've gotten together since Carter was a newborn...or else you were pregnant. After we get through this "quarantine" with our newborns, we'll have to get together! Congratulations!

Angela said...

He is so cute, I love all the pictures. Congratulations!

Karly said...

What a crazy few days for you! It's nice to see that you're home and that everyone is enjoying that sweet little boy. He is a darling! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new addition... We are so excited for you. Thats too bad he had to stay in the NICU I can only imagine how big he looked compared to the little peanuts in there. Congrats again..

Heather Ashby said...

Congrats! I am glad you guys are all home and healthy now. He is adorable. Let me know if you need any help. Cassidy keeps saying she wants to play with Abbi. Grant would love to play with Carter. I'll call you soon and have them come over.

Brooke said...

Sounds like you had a ton of stressful things happen. I am so glad you made it home ok with Gavin and that he is healthy. He is darling! Congrats!

wuxiheather said...

In response to your post on my blog, when you were induced, were you ever induced with cervidil? I know a lot of people who've been induced with just pitocin but not many with cervidil also. I was just wondering.