Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gavin turns one (how did that happen?)

Gavin turned one this month.  It hard for me to believe that it's been one year since he was born.  The year passed by too fast.  And I really was trying to make it go slow.  Babies just don't stay babies long enough.
 
Gavin's birthday was quite uneventful.  My first two babies got much bigger 1st birthday bashes I'm a little embarrassed to say.  But I've learned that when they are 1 they don't care and in all reality they would just like to be home to get their naps that make them happy.  So that's what Gavin did for his birthday.  He got good naps.  Zac and Abbi were home from school that day so we did go to IKEA because I had promised them a trip to the playplace there but with kids out of school that day the wait was too long so we just had some lunch and left.  Tom had to work on Gavin's birthday but Tom's parents came down for dinner and the birthday celebration.  
Gavin was more annoyed by opening presents and eating cake than anything.
He wouldn't even really eat his cake.  The frosting was good but I think he didn't like the texture of cake.  He's too picky.  


We had a second celebration on Sunday with my family.  I didn't really have much a birthday cake plan but the day before decided I better figure something out to feed all the people and I found a picture online and made a cake.  Marshmallow fondant makes one easy cake and it turned out cute (if I do say so myself) without really much work.  Carter was thrilled to blow out the candles for Gavin (Carter is obsessed with birthdays if you don't know).  
We have loved having Gavin join our family this past year.  We love having a baby around.  Well, maybe everyone but Carter.  Carter loves having someone to boss around.   But Gavin is a joy.  He started out as a chunk (10 1/2 pounds in case you forgot) but now not even Tom can call him "fatso" anymore.  At his 1 year appointment he had actually lost weight from his 9 month appointment and hasn't even doubled his birth weight.  He has become super picky (doesn't even like cake?!) and a challenge to feed.  He better grow out of that.  We're currently always trying to trick him to eat things.  He loves crawling, going outside, rough housing with Tom, and watching our dog Maia.  And he loves to be held.  Well, not just held but held while you walk around.  He does not like to be put down.  He's been a bit high maintenance lately.  He gives sweet open mouth kisses, loves his froggy and elmo, hates his carseat, and loves to crawl up the stairs.  We love our Gavin and we're just trying to hold on to all those "baby" moments we have left.    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kids are darling. It has been forever since we have seen all you guys. Hopefully soon we will all get together again. Hope you guys are all doing well :)

Alanna said...

Yes the cake did turn out very nice! I can't belive its been a year already as well.